8 Key Dates that Made Harris Tweed® History
From time immemorial, islanders in the Outer Hebrides have woven a beautiful cloth, but here is a brief history of Harris Tweed® in eight key dates:
- 1834 Harris Estate sold to the 4th Earl of Dunmore by Macleod.
- 1844 First recorded order for Murray Tartan Harris Tweed. Paisley sisters of Pabbay/Strond. Lady Dunmore began to ‘market’ Harris Tweed.
- 1906 Mr Henry Lyons imprisoned for two months for fraud. The crime: ‘Passing off’ of the genuine article by unscrupulous manufacturers – ‘Peasants of OH (Outer Hebrides)’ 32/6 jacket.
- 1909 Harris Tweed Association formed and application made for Orb certification mark.
- 1910 Trade Mark granted and Orb used in 1911. Kenneth Mackenzie Mill (still open today) opened in Lewis Street.
- 1934 Revised definition of Harris Tweed, confining all production to the islands of the Outer Hebrides.
- 1964 Lord Hunter ruled that the terms of the 1934 definition must be observed.
- 1993 Passing of the Harris Tweed Act of Parliament and Harris Tweed Authority created.
Read more of our story: