New weavers sought for Harris Tweed industry
Early in 2023 the Harris Tweed industry will be coordinating and financially supporting a new entrant Harris Tweed double width weaver mentoring programme. The industry is keen to secure 10-15 additional self-employed weavers who will be matched with an experienced mentor for the duration of their training.
- live on Lewis or Harris
- have access to a suitable space at a residential property for a double width loom
- good literacy and numeracy skills
- good hand/eye co-ordination and manual dexterity
- basic technical competency (loom maintenance)
- adequate time and capacity to dedicate to their training and weaving career on completion of training
Double width looms will be available for lease, but we would be particularly interested to hear from individuals already with, or who potentially have access to a double width loom and mentor.
A modest financial contribution of £300 towards your training will be charged.
Please email [email protected] with a CV and/or letter setting out your skills and experiences and confirming your weaving location and loom status. A detailed application form will be sent to you to complete which will also seek 2 references.
Initial applications will be reviewed on Thursday 5th January 2023.